Bicentenary of the birth of Frederic Ozanam
In 2013, the Society of St Vincent de Paul International Confederation celebrated the bicentenary of the birth of its founder: the Blessed Frederic Ozanam. The SSVP Council of Paris, the SSVP French National Council and the SSVP International General Council jointly organised the celebrations for this event. Representatives attended from 30 countries and all meetings were broadcast live on the internet around the globe on Ozanam.tv.
Antoine Frederic Ozanam was born into a French family in Milan in 1813. From his childhood in Lyon to the classrooms of the University of Paris, Frederic received a Christian education. These studies influenced his life and his commitment to the poor. As well as being a strong defender of Christian values, Frederic was also convinced of the need to turn faith into action. Whilst studying in Paris, experiencing the social ramifications of industrial recession and great poverty, he decided, alongside several colleagues to go to the poor in order to provide assistance. Frederic created the first Conference on 23rd April 1833 and thus became one of the main founders of the Society of St Vincent de Paul.
Read the biography > Frederic Ozanam
7th to 9th September 2013
- 7th September : Study Day - "Frederic Ozanam : different aspects of a route" - at University Paris- La sorbonne - 9h00 to 17h00
- 8th September : Mass - Trinity Church - Etienne d'Orves place - Paris - 11h00
- 9th September : Mass - Saint Joseph des Carmes Church - 70, rue de Vaugirard Paris - at 11h00 & 19h00
18th to 21st April 2013
The celebrations began on the evening of 18th April with a performance of "1833, Pages of fire, Love letters": a reading of letters written by Frederic Ozanam performed by three actors.
- 19 April 2013: CONCERT in Saint-Sulpice Church at 8.30pm, by the Spanish pianist Ana Vega Toscano, who performed works by Franz Liszt and Santiago Masarnau, a composer and friend of Frederic Ozanam as well as being the founder of SSVP Spain in 1849 (Paris).
- 19 and 20 April 2013: International Workshop for the bicentenary of Frederic Ozanam in the Palais d’Iena Building, Headquarters of the Financial, Social and Environmental Council (Paris).
- 20 and 21 April 2013: Guided tours of Paris relating to Saint Vincent de Paul and the Blessed Frederic Ozanam from 3pm to 5.30pm (Paris).
- 21 April 2013: Thanksgiving Mass at Notre-Dame at 11.30am, presided by the Cardinal Archbishop of Paris, André Vingt-Trois (Paris).