Summary of the activities of the President General on his recent visit to the United States of America
Brother Renato Lima de Oliveira, 16th President General of the SSVP, made his first official visit to the United States of America from January 2 to 9, 2017, when he was in several cities: New York, Trenton, Baltimore, Miami and Philadelphia.
In all activities, the President was accompanied by Ed Keane (International Vice-president for Institutional Relations) and David Barringer (Executive Director of the United States National Council). The following text is a summary of the main actions taken.
- New York : lecture for 70 Vincentians of the Conferences of the region, at Saint Ignatius Parrish; home visit to a lady in economic difficulties, in the company of two Vincentians; visit to Monsignor Robert Richie (St. Patrick's Cathedral - Archdiocese of New York); foundation of the first Conference at St. Patrick's Cathedral; dinner with the members of the Vincentian Office at the United Nations.
- Trenton: meeting with members of the Holy Mary Conference, in the parish of the same name, in Bordentown; visit to the St. Peter Claver Conference, in the locality of Asbury Park; visit to the special work “Selective Seconds”, held by the Santa Rosa Conference, in Belmar; meeting at the Santa Rosa de Lima Conference in Freehold, where the issue of immigrants was discussed; visit to “Furniture Warehouse” that will be used by Vincentians as a bazaar for people in need.
- Baltimore: meeting with the president of the Central Council, sister Pauline Manalo; meeting and visit to the special work “Saint Vincent de Paul Head Start” (nursery); visit to the special work “Beans & Bread” (community popular restaurant); visit to the special work “Kidz Table” (healthy eating for children); visit to the special work “Sarah's Hope” (temporary housing for the homeless); dinner with the board of the Central Council.
- Philadelphia: participation of the annual meeting of the Executive Committee of the Vincentian Family (VFEC).
- Miami: contact with local Vincentians.
“It was really impressive to know the actions being carried out by the Vincentians in US. I felt as if I were at home, such was the warm welcome I received from my dear brothers. In all the cities, I was very well received, not only by the leaders but also by the Vincentians of the Conferences. I have been closely acquainted with the special works and the Conferences. I was very pleased with what I saw and witnessed”, commented President Renato Lima.
The Council General International is gratefully acknowledged to sister Sheila Gilbert (president of the United States National Council) and her board of directors, for the full payment of the food, transportation, and accommodation costs for all visits and activities.
In January 2018, the President General will make a new visit to the United States, and the cities to be visited will be informed soon
More informations about SSVP in United States : https://www.svdpusa.org/